Me and the better half are off to sunny Singapore for a glorious 12 days. Sun, Sea and non-stop eating. While I shop till I drop, the better half will be out there busy with meetings and work. Perfect! And so it was – Goodbye London, Hello Singapore!!
Fun Facts about Singapore:
- Singapore consists only of one main island and 63 other tiny islands. Most of these islands are uninhabited.
- Apart from Monaco, Singapore is the most densely populated country in the world, with 6,430 people per square kilometre.
- We are the only country in the world to ban chewing gum
- The world’s highest man-made waterfall, standing at 30 metres, is located at the Jurong BirdPark.
- Its always summer in Singapore – the average temperature by day is 34degC
- The Singapore Sling was first served in 1915 at the Long Bar of the Raffles Hotel. The ingredients are gin, Cointreau, cherry brandy, Dom Benedictine, pineapple juice, Grenadine, Angoustura bitters and limes.
- The largest fountain in the world is located in Singapore at Suntec City. Made of cast bronze, it cost an estimated US$6 million to build in 1997.
- The Merlion, a half-fish, half-lion beast, is a fitting symbol of Singapore. The “Singa” or lion represents the animal that a Sumatran prince saw which resembled a lion, and the fish is a tribute to Singapore’s history as “Temasek”, the ancient sea town.
The next post will be from SINGAPORE!!!